How to open a small business base on home occupation in GA? How to collect/pay tax?

Stockbridge, GA |

I want to open a small business by selling stuff on Amazon. Now GA require online small business to collect tax. How can I open a small business base on home occupation? What is step and what kind of document I need to prepare to apply business license? And how can I collect county tax and how to pay them to tax office? Do I need to pay quarterly tax? Thank you

1. Depending on the amount of business you are planning on doing, you may need to consult with an attorney. Georgia is requiring on line internet companies like Amazon to pay tax on their sales. Sales tax is paid to the Georgia Dept. of Revenue. Check with Dept. of Revenue to see if your sales would be subject to sales tax. If you are covered, you pay the Dept. of Revenue. Quarterly tax is normally an issue for federal taxes and if you have significant income to the State. Check with the IRS or your accountant as to whether you need to pay quarterly tax.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a bankruptcy and consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.

2. You should consult a Georgia CPA or tax attorney to determine whether you have to collect and remit sales (or use) tax on your online sales. They should also be able to help you register with the Georgia Department of Revenue. Also, when you ask "[will] you need to pay quarterly tax," if you are trying to determine what the required filing frequently for your sales and use tax might be (i.e., monthly, quarterly, annually), that is usually based on your sales volume.

Yoak Law, P.A. is a business and tax law firm serving clients throughout the State of Florida. If you need help with a legal issue, call (727) 451-9455 to schedule a free consultation. Mr. Yoak is licensed to practice law in Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. You are strongly advised to confer directly with an attorney to insure the proper advice is received and the appropriate action is timely taken.

Business Topics