How to obtain an Order for a DNA of a suspected child.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Detroit, MI

The mother wont let me see the child anymore since Ive moved on and married someelse. I have NO RIGHTS to the child, my name is not on his birth certficate, he has my last name and Im ordered to pay child support. Im not sure if the boy is mine so I want to establish Paternity and obtain rights if he is in fact my son. How do i get the boy tested for DNA.

1. Ellen M. Paynter

1

Answered . If you are ordered to pay child support then there is a court case that establishes paternity.

However, it may be possible now, due to the recent change in the paternity laws in Michigan, for you ask for a DNA test in order to revoke paternity (MCL 722.1439).

You indicated that this question was being asked from someone in Detroit, Michigan. If you wish to try to file a motion on your own in Wayne County for this purpose, you can find a form motion on the Wayne County Friend of the Court's website at https://www.3rdcc.org/FOC.aspx, Click on Forms / In Pro Per Motions and download the form PACKET FD-FOC4038-Order of Filiation-Judge Motion. (The same forms could potentially be modified for use in other counties.)

You need to hurry!! You may only have until June 11, 2013, to file such a motion!!

So, if you are not comfortable filing a motion like this on your own contact an attorney as soon as you can!