Skip to main content

How to obtain a restraining order?

Mount Olive, NC |

My ex wife has been driving by where I live at (when she lives on the opposite side of town). At first I never really thought much of it but now she's pulling off the side of the road and will sit there for 10-20 minutes and then drive off.
I called law enforcement a few times but it always takes them 30 minutes to a hour for them to get there. She of course deny's she does it, even though I have witnesses that see her as well. Would I need some sort of proof to obtain a restraining order? or is it even possible?

Attorney Answers 1


You can get a 50B domestic violence protective order or 50C protective order for stalking from the local clerk's office. These are free if you are indigent and very cheap even if you are not. You do not have to have a lawyer. For your situation you probably need a 50C order. This will keep her from coming within 250 feet of you or your property. Be prepared to have your witnesses come to court to verify her behavior.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics