Skip to main content

How to obtain a no fault divorce?

Gainesville, FL |

Well, My husband lives in Texas, and I'm in Florida, we have been in an arranged marriage for 4 years. However, there isn't compatability between us, my husband is from India and I'm American born Indian. Married because of Familial reasons, but I never was attracted to him,but I also tried to convince myself to become his wife, but deep down I couldn't, so we continued the relationship without any means, he moved to Texas in june 2009 for residency, and I remained here. So due, to no verbal and physical contact, My Husband has decided to go for a divorce. So I just want reassurance as well as help to what the process is about?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Florida is a no fault state and as long as you can tell a judge that the marriage is broken and no amount of couseling will fix it, the judge will grant you a divorce. That being said, the next question is what do you want? Are you seeking alimony? Are there children? Are you seeking custody and child support? Do you own property or possessions that have not been divided? These issues make this far more complicated. If you have no children and neither you want anything from one another, in most counties you can pick up a packet from the clerk's office and have him sign the appropriate paperwork. You can still do this yourself if those other issues are present. Still, it is always wise to at least consult a local Family Law attorney so you can discuss your situation in greater detail and learn about your options. Good luck.


Without more details, it is difficult to say how smoothly a divorce will go.

Your best bet is to contact a family law attorney in your area so that you can be discuss all of your options in this situation.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer