Skip to main content

How to obtain a legal separation in Texas, so her debts moving forward remain hers until we get divorced?

Fort Worth, TX |

How can I get a legal separation so that my wife is responsible for her debts moving forward? We are working out our divorce terms, but in the meantime I do not want her to have access to my funds or visa versa. I also do not want to be liable for any debts she acquires from here on in. Not sure when we can come to an agreement on the terms of our divorce but do not want that to hinder my credit obligations or hers for that matter. We agree to keep things separate, but I prefer to have that legally in writing. Everything always is agreeable verbally until something occurs and then all of sudden - there was never a verbal agreement.

Attorney Answers 4


Texas doesn't have legal separation. To get a temporary division of property and debts during the pendency of the divorce you need temporary orders. It is possible to do this by agreement. Consult with an attorney.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Dallas, Denton, Collin and Tarrant County, Texas practice area. Principal office located in Lake Dallas, Texas.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel


I am sorry you are going through this, however my review of your laws does not find a separation area, so I suggest a divorce be filed and that motions for certain orders/temporary orders be filed, which are requests from the parties during the pendency of the divorce, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


There is no legal separation on Texas. You need to hire a lawyer who will obtain temporary orders after filing for divorce.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Mark as helpful


Texas does not have legal separation (which other states do). Accordingly, it is important that you move forward with filing for divorce if you have not done so already. Once a divorce is filed, you can take steps to obtain temporary orders either by agreement or a court hearing. The temporary orders can address that you each pay you own debt, living expenses, etc. Also, depending on the court the divorce is filed, the county may have standing orders which also go into effect when the divorce is filed.

Although it sounds like this will be an amicable divorce, you should proceed with caution especially since you admit there have been times when all of the sudden there was never an agreement. You can use the find a lawyer tab to cat least consult with an attorney in your area.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics