How to obtain a copy or simply view articles of a corporation of a company

In Los Angeles

1. Corporate articles are fairly useless for any purpose. However, you can determine if the corporation is in good standing and other information, such as the agent for service of process, from the CA Secretary of State website.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. First of all, if you are a Shareholder of the Corporation, you can simply ASK for a copy from the corporate Secretary. If you are not a shareholder, then I concur with my colleague that the Articles of Incorporation aren't going to be all that helpful to you. You want to know if the Company (either LLC or Corporation) is now in Good Standing. Go to the website of the California Secretary of State and do an Entity Search under the company name. Good Luck!

3. The articles can be ordered from the Secretary of State's office and information on how do do so is on the web site.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

4. Here is the link that my colleagues have mentioned. I have also included the link for information requests on the California Secretary of State website.