How to negotiate a CAP on Attorneys fees?

Asked 11 months ago - San Diego, CA

I have a potential deal from an Attorney to move forward on contingency and hourly. I thought it would be one or the other.

I pay hourly and on top of that pay a percentage of the proceeds.

My only fear is the the attorney goes round and round with paper work wanting me to pay up.

Contingency has a great incentive to win.

But if it is hourly I need a cap because sometimes a simple letter seems to cost so much.

Are there standards for the deal?
Is there a best practice manual somewhere?

1. William Stanley Fitch

1

Answered . All attorney fees are negotiable. If the attorney you are interviewing does not want to his or her hourly rate, continue interviewing.

2. Matthew William Hoffmann

Answered . You are right in that it is normally one or the other, not both. Your best bet is to discuss your concerns with the attorney and see if the two of you can come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . You negotiate the deal you want. The market will tell you if what you want is unreasonable based on your dispute, the merits and risks involved, etc...