How to move a civil jurisdiction from Ohio to New York?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have been taken to civil court in Ohio. I'm from New York and this is the place where I live so therefore I wanted to transfer jurisdiction from Ohio to NY. My question is it possible to do that? If so, do I have to hire a lawyer or I can do it myself? If I could do it myself, how can I do it?

Please help!

Thank you for all your answers.

Though, I would like to make sure we're on the same page- I do realize I need to hire a lawyer who will represent me in court but my question is if I can move the jurisdiction from Ohio to New York by myself and if so, how can do that?

1. Robert S. Sunshine

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . Since you reside in New York, the preliminary question that must be answered is what is the basis for jurisdiction in Ohio? Rather than moving to change the jurisdiction you may be able to dismiss the Ohio matter in its entirety depending on the circumstances. Consultation with an attorney is thus highly recommended.

I am a former Assistant Corporation Counsel to the City of New York and New York City Police and Fire Departments. I now handle all types of civil litigation, personal injury matters, divorces cases and family law issues (including, but not limited to, custody, visitation and child support). Feel free to contact me at (845) 735-1300 or through my email at rs@rsunshinelaw.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant to be legal advice. If you found this comment “helpful” or the “best” answer , please mark it as such.

2. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, an attorney is certainly recommended because jurisdictional issues are tough to sort through without adequate legal knowledge.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . You will need to change venue if you can from Ohio to NY. You should consult with an attorney in Ohio to see if you have a basis. You can represent yourself or have an attorney represent you.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Before knowing it may or may not be possible. the basis of OH jurisdiction, if any must be revealed.

See an OH lawyer about this immediately