How to marry a woman on B1/B2 visitor visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I met a woman here in the US and would like to marry her. What should I do?
I am US citizen, she is from Russia.

Additional information

Would it be better to send her back home and bring her here with K-1 Fiancee visa?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You engage in the same steps you would if she was not from Russia except for the last one listed below: 1. Propose. 2. Get her acceptance. 3. Get married according to the law. Visit Marriage License Bureau in the Municipal Building across the Borough Hall - second floor. Get a license and in 48 hours you will be able to come back to receive a certificate. Will need one witness for the certificate. 4. petition for her GC so she would not be deported or have to leave because her visa expired. In the alternative, start learning Russian as they do not speak English in Russia. If you decide to petition for her GC, best advice would be to hire an immigration attorney to assist you with the process. We have many good attorneys here in NYC. Good luck.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . First, you should think it over twice before marrying her. At the very least get to know her for a few more months and if you are still tempted after that... pray.. and have a pre-nuptial agreement carefully prepared.

    Be forewarned that if you don't yourself speak Russian or are unfamiliar with the culture & customs, you'll be in for a "heavy" shake up (shock? ruin?) as the "relationship" progresses.. Especially after the marriage and even before you file any paperwork on her behalf. Note that she will not need you to get her green card once you marry: all she'll need to do if you "refuse" to file papers for her is to hire an immigration lawyer from her own community (there are far too many, especially where you are) and successfully self-petition for a green card under the federal "Violence Against Women Act", where almost anything goes if the "victim" is a woman.. She will get her green card without you even knowing, and not too long after she dumps you.. A Russian woman is not for the faint hearted.. be forewarned. Especially so if there are vast cultural, educational and even racial differences.. If you are "rich" or well to do, on the other hand, you stand a better chance of making it last at least until she becomes a citizen...

    If you still feel like marrying, then have her wait for at least 60 days after arrival in the U.S., unless you want her to be accused of having committed "visa fraud."

    Once married, you won't have to worry about a thing.. She will most likely lead you to a Russian speaking immigration lawyer who "will take care of everything".. Unless she'll think you are well-off she'll want to take care of the attorney's and USCIS fees herself..

    If you decide to go this route let me know 3 and 6 months from now how you came out.
    Best of luck (you'll need it.)

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Fernanda Nunes Hottle


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can marry her. However, I recommend you both meet with an immigration attorney prior to filing anything. It's important to review her immigration history to make sure that no issues will arise later on. Good luck!

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,337 answers this week

3,258 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,337 answers this week

3,258 attorneys answering