How to Legally Buyout Brother Beneficiaries for Home In California Trust

Asked about 1 year ago - Torrance, CA

CA Trust. 3 Beneficiaries boys; Equal Distribution; retired; 60 Y.O.; A,B,C). B is executor; B is Successor trustee. Life Ins/ annuity accounts outside trust disbursed. Remaining Trust admin Property= Antique cars 1,2,3; Cars appraised, Cars= x;1.2x;3 x. EE Bonds= 12 x . bank account 3.6x. No Debts. Home in trust; Value 36x. Home Appraised/registered appraiser. All Agree; A & C agree B buys home; B will buyout A and C; B says before I go and sell my home, to buyout 2/3 of appraised value from A and C; what instrument or whose services do I use to insure that all parties are protected ? I could die. Options? Promissary note; escrow. Are there tax implications ?

1. Michael Austin Hackard

Pro

2

Answered . My first point of advice is that you should seek local counsel who has experience in estates and trusts. A Probate Code Section 16502 Notice and Consent should allow a distribution in accord with the beneficiaries' wishes if all beneficiaries consent. Probate Code 16501(d) lists certain actions for which the notice may not be used.
    As to tax effects, I assume that the assets at issue have a stepped up basis. Your counsel will need to look at this. Experienced trusts and estates counsel will be able to assist you on a number of your issues.

2. Mary Lynn Symons

2

Answered . You need to consult with a probate and trust attorney who can advise you of the property tax implications of what you are attempting to do. If B purchases the home from A&C with his own funds then the two-thirds of the property will be reasssed for property tax purposes. The parent- child exclusion does not apply to transfers between siblings. There are ways to accomplish this in the trust as long as the trust doesn't require pro rata distributions. Usually a trust allows non-pro rata distributions (that's good), but I have seen trusts that require pro rata distributions. The Trustee (as trustee) will need to borrow money against the residence equal to the two thirds buy-out price (it can be difficult to find a lender willing to do this) and then the cash borrowed will be distributed to A&C and B will take the property subject to the liability. This is a very simplified explanation of what needs to be done. I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney before you take actions that will have adverse property tax consequences. This is NOT something to do on your own.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

Answered . MY colleagues have provided sound advice. This is a matter that requires in depth analysis and consideration by your own estate attorney to be sure that your are well informed.