How to know where or which bank to claim if you're named as beneficiary of a bank account?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

The executor informed me that I was named as beneficiary of my late grandma's bank account but the greedy executor refused to tell me which bank it is. I do not know what to do next. I only had a copy of the will but there's no name of a bank in there.

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . You have to find out which bank it is. The personal representative should tell you. Has an estate been filed? Whynot? You can get to a probate attorney in your area and find out what your options are.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  2. John Warwick Caldwell

1

Answered . Whoa friend. Why assume executor is dishonest?

3. Steven J. Fromm

1

Answered . If he is informing you of your rights why would he then be greedy. He is being open and honest here as far as your facts indicate. As to the will they usually do not mention a specific bank account. It also looks like you were named a beneficiary of the bank account perhaps a payable on death designation. If so it would not be controlled by will. Get an estates attorney if this does not pan out the way it should and/or to discuss this situaton in more detail.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is