How to know where or which bank to claim if you're named as beneficiary of a bank account?

Cape Coral, FL |

The executor informed me that I was named as beneficiary of my late grandma's bank account but the greedy executor refused to tell me which bank it is. I do not know what to do next. I only had a copy of the will but there's no name of a bank in there.

1. Whoa friend. Why assume executor is dishonest?

All comments on this site are 'in the cloud' and do not form an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Just consider them ideas for discussion. J

2. If he is informing you of your rights why would he then be greedy. He is being open and honest here as far as your facts indicate. As to the will they usually do not mention a specific bank account. It also looks like you were named a beneficiary of the bank account perhaps a payable on death designation. If so it would not be controlled by will. Get an estates attorney if this does not pan out the way it should and/or to discuss this situaton in more detail.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. You have to find out which bank it is. The personal representative should tell you. Has an estate been filed? Whynot? You can get to a probate attorney in your area and find out what your options are.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239