How to know if I should avoid this particular lawyer

Princeton, NJ |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I am looking to retain a lawyer in NJ for divorce. What are the red flags I should be on the look out for and avoid those lawyers.

I wish I had been more open to listeneing to others when deciding to marry this girl, I would not be here asking this question :(

1. My advice would be to speak to a few and go with the lawyer that seems the most competent and that you feel comfortable with. There are many lawyers who I believe good do a good job for you.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.

2. I agree with the ther aswers given you under this questin. You might see that most will give you a free initial evaluation of your case. Look in th yellow pages or go on line to see wich attoreys in your partof the state handle divorce cases. Attorneys usually advertise the area of law they practice andas it turns out is the area that their expierence is in. You will have to use your gutfeeling as to whom you think you can best work with.
    Good Luck, Attorney Jim Whitlock, The Godfather

3. One tool you can use is Avvo - which will alert you if there has been a grievance filed against a lawyer.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

4. You can always call your state bar and ask if an attorney has any discipline history. As pointed out in a previous answer avvo.com is supposed to be on top of this but you sometimes get better information going to the actual source. Your state bar may also be able to tell you if the lawyer has legal malpractice insurance. On average, the better lawyers have malpractice insurance.

Professional ethics topics