Skip to main content

How to I get my Green Card back after Removal Proceeding was ordered closed and terminated by the IJ?

New York, NY |

LPR for 25 years. Was in removal proceedings because of a misd. drug offense. Judge ordered proceedings terminated and closed. This was not a Cancellation of Removal; the charge of removability was NOT SUSTAINED by DHS and the IJ Dismissed and Terminated the removal proceedings.

How can I get my Green Card back? ICE took it away from me when they initially detained me at the boarder, and gave me a temp GC that expired after one year.

I would like my GC back. Do I need to file a request/motion with ICE? Do I need to make a call? Does ICE send it back to me automatically?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Attorney Answers 3


Nothing is automatic with immigration. If you worked with an attorney, they should help you. If you did not - make the call.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


I concur. Consult your attorney or find a new one.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


ICE should return it to you if you contact them. However, it would probably be easier to get it done through an attorney.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics