How to I answer this question on application form "Have you been convicted of a felony or pleaded guilty and been placed...

Asked almost 5 years ago - San Jose, CA

Someone close to me who is in the process of applying to a California state university for admission, pleaded no contest to two counts of petty thefts (misdemeanors) and was placed on probation and community service. What answer should this person provide for the following question (quoted exactly from the application form):

"Have you been convicted of a felony or pleaded guilty and been placed on probation, court supervision, or other preconviction program?"

I interpret this as a conviction for a felony or being placed on probation/supervision following a felony charge. Is this interpretation correct? Can this person answer No to this question because the crime was a misdemeanor?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

1. Ronald S. Pichlik

Answered . Ultimately these questions are intrepeted by those who drafted them and therefore can be as narrow or broad as they want. With that disclaimer out of the way I would draw the same conclusion as you have. That the question is designed to find out whether or not a person has been found guilty or pleaded guilty to a felony and been placed on probation, etc. I would not interpret this question as seeking information about misdemeanors.