How to have my adult child medically unfit for his own safety he is also on ssi disability for mental health issues he resides i

Asked 11 months ago - Red Wing, MN

he has on and off tried suicide for last 12 yrs he has stage 4 liver cancer something with his packeris and today found out he have a bunch of brain tumors half canceries some not biggest one is 9mm big they want to put him in hospice nursing care facility hes fight against it cause he cant control his own meds and don't want a feeding tube he took a months worth of morphen in 6 days the hospital keeps letting him go home to not eat and over medicate himself. what are my options as his dad he is not married has a minor child (lives with him mom) no relationship with his adult son for years.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Julie M Pawluk

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree with the other answer---you may want to bring a Petition to the Probate Court to be appointed as his guardian and/or conservator. You might also want to pursue a mental health commitment for him. Either way, it is a complex area, and I suggest that you retain legal counsel to help you decide how to proceed.

  2. Robert J Adams Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can go into Probate Court to seek to establish yourself as Guardian of the Person and Guardian of the his property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,199 answers this week

3,195 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,199 answers this week

3,195 attorneys answering