How to handle the divorce process correctly in order to be able to renew my green card in future? Thank you everybody I advance

I'm a Russian citizen married to an American citizen. I received my green card through marriage on 3rd of November, 2012. We are going through a divorce right now and even though I realize I'll need an attorney, I want to hear multiple opinions about how to handle this divorce process correctly in order to be able to renew my green card (in almost 2 years) with a prospective to receive a citizenship. Also, when traveling, for how long can I stay outside of the U.S. and for how long do I need to stay inside the U.S.

Brooklyn, NY -

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You received your green card very recently. Divorce will certainly complicate things. Eventually you will be filing your I-751 with a divorce waiver and you will have to show that your marriage was bona fide and that you are fully divorced. You definitely should be working with an attorney and it may not be a bad idea to start speaking to someone now.
As far as traveling - not more than 6 months.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
Alice Antonovsky

Alice Antonovsky

Immigration Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

It is best to get an answer in person rather than on a forum to a question such as yours, since a lot of factors will determine you chances of receiving a permanent green card after a divorce is final. One thing is for sure, you will need an actual judgment of divorce before you will be able to file I751 yourself asking for a waiver of joint filing requirements. Seeing how currently in Brooklyn, NY divorces take as long as 6-8 months to be granted, you should think about getting that done as soon as possible. Do not travel outside the US for a period of longer than 6 months. I suggest you retain an experienced immigration attorney who will help you with the divorce and subsequently with filing of the I-751. Good Luck.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

I agree with the prior responders. Schedule an appointment with an experienced divorce lawyer to assist you with the process.

Nicklaus James Misiti

Nicklaus James Misiti

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You need the divorce and than you will need to prove to immigration the marriage was made in good faith. My firm handles divorce and immigration issues in NY.
Regards,
Nicklaus Misiti
Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
212 537 4407

Jose Antonio Moreno

Jose Antonio Moreno

Immigration Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

I agree with my colleagues.

Related Advice