How to handle Perjury in Family Court.

Asked about 3 years ago - Arvada, CO

I recently went to Court to try to relocate with my children to another state. My ex lied to the judge about many things and turned it into a custody battle. I was a Pro Se' litigant and she had a very expensive attorney. In the end my Motion was denied, yet now I can proof that she lied about numerous things. How to I go about informing the Court so I can clear my name and prove that she is not credible? Do I have to file something or can I just send a Stauts Report to the Judge with the evidence?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It is very difficult to reopen a matter and bring additional information before the court which was not addressed in the original hearing. Whether the new information can be presented and whether it could change the outcome will depend on a number of things, including the specifics of the allegedly false statements, the evidence you have, and the reason (if any) that you were unable to present this evidence during the original hearing.

    A letter to the judge will not be effective. If you can reopen the issue it will certainly have to be by motion. You should sit down with an experienced attorney and lay out all of the information you have. He or she will be able to give you advice on how to proceed.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  2. Kathlyn Angela Laraway

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree with Mr.. Harkess that you are faced with an uphill battle. Writing a letter to the Court, or sending a "status report" will not be enough. Whatever you file with the Court it will need to be in the form of a motion. Unfortunately, time considerations will apply to any sort of appeal of the Judge's decision. Beause of this, I suggest you meet with an attorney immediately to go over your options for rectifying the situation. If she truly did lie, and you have proof of her perjury, then it may be basis enough to have the Court grant a new hearing. However, you need to make sure that what you file is in the proper format, and is filed timely, as there are different time restictions regarding different avenues of an appeal.

    Kathlyn Bullis, Esq.

    Legal disclaimer: Answering this question does not establish an attorney client relationship. This answer is for... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Family court and child custody cases

Family court can be the last resort for child custody disagreements when negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law fail to resolve custody disputes.

Samuel Jackson Siemon

Filing for Divorce, What to Expect

Filing for divorce can be a difficult and emotional decision but once you have decided that it must be done, what should you expect? What are the first steps? How long does it take? How... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,203 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,203 answers this week

2,235 attorneys answering