How to handle a potential probation violation?

Lynchburg, VA |

In September of 2011, I plead guilty to identity fraud (misdimeanor) and identity theft (felony) and received 18 months probation. Soon after that time, I was placed in the "lower risk" case load.

Admittedly, I have fallen behind on my restitution payments, but have made efforts to catch up on them. Recently, my probation officer called me and requested an immediate appointment for that day. Seeing as how I do not have a vehicle and was given a ride nearly 45 minutes away (but still within the 50 mile radius allowed by my probation), I was unable to keep this appointment. I informed my PO of this fact, and she said that she would immediately file paperwork with the district attorney.

I am not sure how to handle this situation. What are my options?

1. Pick up the phone and call the attorney who represented you on the underlying matter. She/he should know the system best.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.