How to handle a potential probation violation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lynchburg, VA

In September of 2011, I plead guilty to identity fraud (misdimeanor) and identity theft (felony) and received 18 months probation. Soon after that time, I was placed in the "lower risk" case load.

Admittedly, I have fallen behind on my restitution payments, but have made efforts to catch up on them. Recently, my probation officer called me and requested an immediate appointment for that day. Seeing as how I do not have a vehicle and was given a ride nearly 45 minutes away (but still within the 50 mile radius allowed by my probation), I was unable to keep this appointment. I informed my PO of this fact, and she said that she would immediately file paperwork with the district attorney.

I am not sure how to handle this situation. What are my options?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Robert C. LeBrasseur

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Pick up the phone and call the attorney who represented you on the underlying matter. She/he should know the system best.

    My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,550 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,550 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering