Skip to main content

How to handle a non custodial parent that doesn't follow the parenting plan as far as when visits are supposed to be

Everett, WA |

My ex husband is supposed to have visits every monday from 4 to 8 pm and every other weekend from Friday at 4 until Monday at 8pm. he has changed his weekday visit to Tuesdays, then changed it to Wednesday's and now he just shows up what ever day he wants without notice, or cancels the visit with maybe an hour notice. His weekend visits he sometimes picks her up at school and sometimes he picks her up at home around 5 or 6 or 7 and brings her home on sundays anywhere from 3 to 6. Now out of the blue he has moved about 30 minutes away and is requiring me to pick her up on Sundays or drop her off on Fridays, what ever is convenient for him. i never know where I am going to pick her up or drop her off. sometimes at his apt, sometimes at his work.

Attorney Answers 1


You do not have to do anything more than what the parenting plan and other court orders specify.

Static court orders sometimes cannot meet the changing schedules of real life. If you think your ex husband is changing the schedules to be spiteful or for other unreasonable bases, you can stick to the schedule as provided by the court orders.

On the other hand, if he is changing the times because of unforeseen changes at his work and you think being with the father is good for the daughter, you can be flexible if you want. So that you can make your own plans, you would insist that the father follows procedures (such as coming within 30 minutes of a scheduled time, he pays for you to drive the daughter).

You two can take each other back to court to get new orders to fit the current situation. However, the process can be expensive and time-consuming, especially if there is no agreement and attorneys are involved.

You can review your specific facts with your attorney to see what legal options you have.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics