How to handle a Narcissist husband in divorce court

Columbus, GA |
Filed under: Divorce court

I have finally found the courage to divorce my husband who is verbally and emotionally abusive to me. Once we go to court he will lie to get whatever he wants, he is a con-artist, and I'm soft spoken. How should I handle myself in court when he starts to lie?

1. This goes either badly or well.

It goes well if you have an attorney who knows your strengths and weaknesses, and his, and uses those effectively in court.

It goes very badly if you represent yourself, as your lawyer will handle his lies properly, and it is very unlikely you will have the legal skills to do so.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

2. Individuals who lie in Court can be difficult to handle in Court because they require you to prove them wrong sometimes which can be difficult depending on what type of evidence you have. In addition, you still need to be able to maintain your composure in Court, stay focused on the issues at hand, and not engage with the other side directly as all of this can be a poor reflection on you. I agree with my colleague and highly recommend that you retain an attorney who can help decipher what issues to fight him on, what type of documents and evidence you need to prove or disprove an issue, and someone to be there to speak for you when you are upset/frustrated.