Skip to main content

How to go about a paternity test

Grand Junction, CO |

5 years ago i was in a long term relationship with this girl and we had a child together and without questions asked i signed the agreement that i was the father. needless to say i find out after the fact that she had been cheating through out our entire relationship and has told mine and several of her family members that i wasn't the father of my now 4 year old son. I want to find out the truth of whether my son is actually mine or not and i think him and i both have a right to know. My 2 request to social services to get a paternity test have been denied and i am now at a loss of what to do. I barely get to see him and only at her convenience and i am hoping if he truly is my son to be able to take on a bigger role in his life. How can i get a paternity test done through the court?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Unless Social Services has some kind of active case involving your family, they have no authority here. The only way to compel a paternity test is ti file a paternity case in court, ask for a determination as to whether you are the father, and ask the court to order paternity testing. If you are the father, then there will be orders entered concerning child support and parental responsibilities. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice specific to a particular case, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the person asking the question.

  2. Mr. Geil is correct. You would need to file a paternity action. If you are not the father, this will raise questions about the impact on your young son should he suddenly lose a father. This situation requires much discussion and soul searching to give you the best chance at making decisions that are sound, wise and legally informed. I suggest you schedule a consultation with a family law attorney who can give you greater perspective than a brief answer in this forum. Good luck to you.