How to get vandalism charge dropped and avoid potential domestic charges?

Asked over 1 year ago - Thousand Oaks, CA

My girlfriend and I got into an argument over our child. She is a type 1 diabetic and was going to drive off with our child in an altered mental state due to blood sugar. I slashed one of her tires to avoid any potential auto accidents. She had me arrested for misdemeanor vandalism. Since release, I bought new tire, and now she wants to drop charges and filed a no prosecution desired. My court date is not for 2 more months and the DA still hasn't filed anything in 4 days.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Ramy Ahmed Abouelsood

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The DA has all the way up to the arraignment date to file charges against you. They may not have because they haven't looked at the recommendation yet or simply just haven't gotten around to it. Contacting a defense attorney to appear in your matter is the best thing you can do. They can, and often times do, still charge even if your gf requests them to drop charges. You have to prepare for the worst.

  2. Joseph Salvatore Farina

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should talk to a criminal defense attorney to get some information. Most attorneys offer free initial consultations.

    The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The... more
  3. Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First off- please realize this is a public forum and take care with what you are actually admitting to doing. With that said, domestic situations "evolve" more after the offense then any other type of crime and understandably so. If you have two months before this matter goes to court, your girlfriend may, if she chooses, contact the Ventura County District Attorney's office and request that the matter not proceed by fillin out a "request for a dismissal." This is not dispositive but will be considered by the DA's office in determining the need to go forward with the prosecution.

    With that said, you should consider contacting an attorney in the near future so that he/she may contact the DA directly and present evidence related to your claim that you were attempting to protect your child. Do not rely on the officers to have accurately documented that portion of the incident in their reports as it may be relevant to your case.

    Good luck with this!

  4. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Getting an attorney and being proactive is the best thing you can do to hopefully achieve the results you desire- especially in Ventura. You need an attorney- as discussed- to hopefully avoid any charges from being filed. The case will not be filed for a long time in Ventura because of the back log. Get an attorney Now!

    Andrew Roberts
    (805) 496-7777

One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,762 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,762 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering