Skip to main content

How to get SSN

Frisco, TX |

my name is naomi, i need your help regarding my immigration problem, i came to America when i was 11, i am now 18 i just graduated from high school and got accepted to Columbia university but the problem is that i don't have a SSN, so therefore i couldn't claim my scholarships which meant that i was going to have to drop out of school. my dilemma is that i cant apply for anything because my parents passed away when i was five.i have been leaving with my uncle, he is a permanent resident but he is not my biological parent. if you can please tell me if there is away i can get this problem fixed.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. What is your current status?

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

  2. See if you qualify for employment authorization through deferred action. This would allow you to apply for SSN.

  3. 1. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to get any scholarships in the near future.
    2. Meet with an immigration lawyer about he possibility of filing for DA-4-CA:

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You do not state what your status is however for the moment I will assume that you are "undocumented", that is either entered the U.S. on a visa and overstayed or entered the U.S. without inspection. Assuming that this is the case, you may be eligible for the deferred action program for childhood arrivals (DACA). If so, you can get a social security number through this program.

    By the way even if you get a social security number through DACA, federal and most state financial aid is not available to undocumented students and is only available to certain eligible noncitizens (permanent residents, refugee, etc., ) and U.S. citizens. However, you may be eligible for private scholarships and loans through the college or otherwise. In addition, you should determine the law regarding financial aide in your state of residence and the state where the college is located regarding financial aide for undocumented students.

    You should consult with an immigration attorney as soon as possible to review your case to determine if you are eligible for DACA or other immigration options. Feel free to contact me.

    C.J. Lyford

    The above is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

  5. I agree with the other attorneys that you should schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney in your area to discuss the risks and benefits of applying for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics