How to get rid of an unwanted person

Canton, OH |

my mom ex husband left for 7 months (not coming back) and at the first of may he just came right back like he never left my mom is 81 can not see very well wears hearing aids and walks with the help of cane and walker he is 67 and larger which makes my mom scared of him what can we do to get him out before his verbal abuse becomes physical he has a history of domestic violent

You can try to get a PPO against him. Your mother would need to cooperate with that, and I am not sure that she would. Is his name on the title of the deed? If not, you could file an action to evict him. Again, your mother would need to agree to this.

You also want to make sure all of your mother's estate planning is in order and appropriate to achieve her goals. That is a secondary issue, right now, but it could easily become primary, if your mother becomes incapacitated.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

If he is an ex husband - he has no right to be there in the first place. Various alternatives: call children & family services (abuse hotline) and report the problem since she is scared of him - the state may suggest and begin a guardianship for your mother; you can consult a guardianship attorney and request appointment as a guardian for your mother; you can consult an attorney to evict the ex husband. It all depends on how you believe your mother and her ex husband will react to the various alternatives. You will probably need the assistance of an attorney. Good luck.

You need to contact the Stark County Jobs & Family Services office and ask to be connected to the agency that takes complaints of elder abuse. Depending on the police department in your city, town or county, it may be useful to speak with them, as they should be concerned enough about domestic violence to guide you to any other agency that can help.

Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus and Dayton, serving client families and private business owners throughout Ohio. He may be contacted directly by phone toll-free at 888.488.7878 or by email CLH@HUDDLAW.COM. Mr. Huddleston responds to Avvo questions as a public service to help educate and provide general guidance to questioners, but his responses are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Real estate