How to get rid of an unwanted person

Asked over 1 year ago - Canton, OH

my mom ex husband left for 7 months (not coming back) and at the first of may he just came right back like he never left my mom is 81 can not see very well wears hearing aids and walks with the help of cane and walker he is 67 and larger which makes my mom scared of him what can we do to get him out before his verbal abuse becomes physical he has a history of domestic violent

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can try to get a PPO against him. Your mother would need to cooperate with that, and I am not sure that she would. Is his name on the title of the deed? If not, you could file an action to evict him. Again, your mother would need to agree to this.

    You also want to make sure all of your mother's estate planning is in order and appropriate to achieve her goals. That is a secondary issue, right now, but it could easily become primary, if your mother becomes incapacitated.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  2. Ruth Elaine McMahon

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If he is an ex husband - he has no right to be there in the first place. Various alternatives: call children & family services (abuse hotline) and report the problem since she is scared of him - the state may suggest and begin a guardianship for your mother; you can consult a guardianship attorney and request appointment as a guardian for your mother; you can consult an attorney to evict the ex husband. It all depends on how you believe your mother and her ex husband will react to the various alternatives. You will probably need the assistance of an attorney. Good luck.

  3. Charles Lawrence Huddleston III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to contact the Stark County Jobs & Family Services office and ask to be connected to the agency that takes complaints of elder abuse. Depending on the police department in your city, town or county, it may be useful to speak with them, as they should be concerned enough about domestic violence to guide you to any other agency that can help.

    Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,168 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,168 answers this week

3,128 attorneys answering