How to get off child support

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

So my boyfriend is on child support his baby mama told him if he find a way to get off she'll sign the papers he's on it because she had tanf and the government put him on it he's all paid up and is trying to get off child support we are gonna put the kids on my insurance so they no longer have medicade but we are unsure of how to start the process of getting him off of child support

Additional information

He takes care of the kids we buy them all there school clothes, toys and everything they need his baby mama does nothing she takes the money and does nothing with it just live off the government with foodstamps section 8 and ccms we are going broke paying child support and buying stuff for the kids because she don't and we have a child together so were taking care of this child plus 2 more and paying child support it is not fair when a person lives off the government and does nothing

Attorney answers (2)

  1. M Elizabeth Gunn

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . So you know, there's something wrong with the way the comments post here--you cannot tell when your comment has been submitted--it's not just you. Ms. Sinclair is correct--he is not going to be taken off child support once he's been put on, it just doesn't work that way. The options there are pretty much waiting for the child to graduate from high school or getting custody of the child himself. Also, you're not going to be able to put his child on your insurance--your own child with him would be eligible under your insurance plan, but his child with this other woman would not. Legally, that child is the equivalent of the next door neughbor's kid--you may see him a lot, you may like him, you my even have him over, but there's no legal relationship there, and if you try to claim him on your insurance as being your child, you will be in for a world of hurt when they find out.

  2. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . So, your boyfriend fathered a child, paternity has been established, and he has been ordered to support the child. Why should he be excused from that obligation? Children deserve the support of two parents (not to mention guidance and parenting, but sometimes support is the most a court can compel). It is the right of the child to be supported. Most state support enforcement agencies and judges agree that one parent does not have the right to excuse payment. Nor will a court reduce the obligation of a parent who has the ability to pay. If the law were otherwise our courts would be swamped with such requests of legions of deadbeats. The taxpayers already have enough children to support.

    Best wishes for a more mature understanding of parental obligations, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,484 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,484 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering