How to get my immigration bond money back?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Long time ago, I was arrested by ICE and had to pay a bond to get released. The person who posted the bond now lives outside the country and he wants to give me power of attorney so that I can go to ICE local office to ask for the money. Can he give me power of attorney if he is outside the country? Does he have to go to the consulate office to process the power of attorney paperwork?

1. Robert West

1

Answered . Go to the ICE office and see what the current policy is.

2. Eugene J. Glicksman

Best Answer

Answered . He probably can grant you power of attorney, but he would likely have to get his signature notarized at the US Consulate in the country where he is now living. The other matter is whether you complied fully with the terms of the bond; if not, the bond may have been breached and the money forfeited. Aside form checking with the local ICE office, consulting with an experienced immigration attorney may help.

Good luck!