How to get my girl friend out of blackmailed sham green card marriage?!

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oviedo, FL

My gf is stuck in a green card marriage. I want to know what we can do to get her out of it. She got into this mess a month before she met me and now she is 4 months from filing final paperwork. She is being blackmailed to continue this sham. Can she contact ICE and tell them marriage is a sham and she was blackmailed? We have been together almost 2 years now and this a big stress on our relationship. We just want her out of it so we can move on with our lives. Her foreign spouse moved from LA to Vegas and they were separated for over a year now. Now he moved to Florida where we are and is trying to make it look like they are reconciling marriage to get green card.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds as though your girl friend is a U.S. citizen. In that case, the case can probably be resolved though either withdrawal of any petition she has filed or though divorce. She should consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact and set up an appointment with an immigration attorney as soon as possible. I strongly recommend you do not discuss this further in an open forum such as this

  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . She needs to get out of this fast with the help of an immigration and possibly a criminal al defense attorney so that she doesn't get prosecuted. Get an attorney before filing a complaint with ICE.

  4. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I strongly suggest that your GF notify the UsCIS that her spouse married her in order to obtain a green card and that the marriage is a sham. She does not want to be charged with marriage fraud which is a federal crine and can mean a fine and/or prison time.
    All she has to so it not show up for the interview. I suggest she file for a divorce.

  5. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . She does need to hire an immigration attorney first think in the morning.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  6. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Agree with colleagues.

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,387 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,387 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering