How to get information on my brothers will

Asked almost 2 years ago - Clearwater, FL

I am in my brothers will, the problem is he had given power of attorney to his lawyer before he died in April of this year. The problem I am having is getting any information on when the will would be finalized, so far it is past 8 months.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The power of attorney became void upon your brother's death, so it doesn't affect this situation. Are you referring to probate being completed? If so, you should be able to check the court file to get some idea of the status. You may need to hire your own attorney to make sure the estate is being handled properly.

  2. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am assuming you meant to say "probate would be finalized." Probate the is process by which the estate is settled, all the debts and taxes are paid, and the remaining assets distributed according to the will instructions. Within ten days of your brother's death, the will should have been filed with the court by the person who had the original - presumably the attorney-in-fact. If it is already filed you can see a copy of the will by contacting the clerk's office for the 6th Judicial Circuit (probate department), or go online to their website.

    If the attorney is handling probate for the estate (which he/she probably is) then it can take a few months for all the estate creditors to be contacted and debts and taxes to be paid. It doesn't happen overnight. If you want to have your interests represented, please contact a local probate attorney to help you get the information you are seeking.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate,... more
  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition to the other posted answers.
    The attorney should be able to give you
    an estimated date for the estate to closed.
    The court allows one year for the estate to be open-it must
    close or request an extension for a valid reason.
    You would be notified of the request for the extension
    and be able to object if you did not think the reason was valid.
    You should consider having an attorney review the file if you are not
    pleased with the progress of the estate.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,973 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,973 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering