Skip to main content

How to get emancipated in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin |
Filed under: Juvenile law

I am 16 and need to know how to get emancipated. I do not live on my own and have a job. I pay for my own car insurance and gas. I also able to provide for myself on my own. I need to be able to know how to file a petition with the court because my mother is not going to let me do it on her own. She wants me to come home but she married an abusive man.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You mention that you are concerned about an abusive situation. This is of greater importance than any desire to be emancipated. The juvenile court can enter orders to protect you. If you have been in an abusive situation you need to contact one of the mandatory reporters you have contact with. Assuming you are in school, you can speak to your school counselor who can see that the authorities take the appropriate steps. You can also report this directly to the police. Finally, you can contact The Department of Human Services who will investigate your situation. You may wish to consult with an attorney.

    Good Luck.

    None of the above should be taken as legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics