How to get custody of my niece

Asked about 2 years ago - Greenville, SC

DSS has removed my 9 year old niece from my sisters care for the 2nd time in 3 years. First time in 2009.. it was due to meth use. I had her for 9 months. THis time (two weeks ago) its for CDV against her then live in boyfriend. Come to find out my sister had another open case with DSS-medical nelgect and etc... I want my neice to be in a stable SAFE enviroment. what steps do i need to file for custody

Attorney answers (1)

  1. James D. Mosteller III


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If the DSS case has been filed with court (and is not a voluntary placement without court proceedings) you can file a motion to intervene in the DSS case. Otherwise you can try our relatively recent "de facto" parent statute as a mechanism to file a private custody action in family court.

    This answer is for general advice and does not create an attorney client relationship with James Mosteller or the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,617 answers this week

3,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,617 answers this week

3,221 attorneys answering