How to get custody of my niece

Asked almost 2 years ago - Greenville, SC

DSS has removed my 9 year old niece from my sisters care for the 2nd time in 3 years. First time in 2009.. it was due to meth use. I had her for 9 months. THis time (two weeks ago) its for CDV against her then live in boyfriend. Come to find out my sister had another open case with DSS-medical nelgect and etc... I want my neice to be in a stable SAFE enviroment. what steps do i need to file for custody

1. James D. Mosteller III

Pro

Answered . If the DSS case has been filed with court (and is not a voluntary placement without court proceedings) you can file a motion to intervene in the DSS case. Otherwise you can try our relatively recent "de facto" parent statute as a mechanism to file a private custody action in family court.