How to get citizenship?

Boise, ID |

I have a work visa here but it is going to expire at the beginning of next year. I was just wondering what the first step is if I want to get full citizenship?

You have a temporary work visa or a green card that you got through your employer? To get "full citizenship," you have to have your green card for five years (or three if you're married to a U.S. citizen).

Honestly I'm not sure which one it is, my social security card says "for work use only" if that helps..I am also engaged to a US Citizen so what would be the best thing for me to do?

Andrew T. Brooks

Andrew T. Brooks

If you got a green card, they would have mailed you an actual plastic card in the mail that says Lawful Permanent Resident on it. The best thing for you to do would be to consult with an immigration attorney in your area. Bring all of your immigration documents to the consultation. Good luck.

How does it work though if I were to marry my fiancé? What happens after that?

Andrew T. Brooks

Andrew T. Brooks

You could apply for your green card if you are married to a US citizen.

Unless you have a full consultation with an attorney impossible to correctly advise you. The potential path to US citizenship depends on what type of status you have currently. From your question not possible to tell. Get help now in a one-on-one consult with excellent counsel. If you have employment authorization this does not mean you can apply for naturalization. First you would need to adjust your status and then wait a requisite period of time depending on your circumstances. Get help from counsel to determine whether you can try to adjust your status in an appropriate way. Good Luck

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

Will need to be a green card holder for either 3 years (if married to a USC) or 5 years (if obtained green card through an employer's permanent petition) before you can even think of applying for citizenship.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.