Skip to main content

How to get citizenship?

Boise, ID |

I have a work visa here but it is going to expire at the beginning of next year. I was just wondering what the first step is if I want to get full citizenship?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You have a temporary work visa or a green card that you got through your employer? To get "full citizenship," you have to have your green card for five years (or three if you're married to a U.S. citizen).

  2. Unless you have a full consultation with an attorney impossible to correctly advise you. The potential path to US citizenship depends on what type of status you have currently. From your question not possible to tell. Get help now in a one-on-one consult with excellent counsel. If you have employment authorization this does not mean you can apply for naturalization. First you would need to adjust your status and then wait a requisite period of time depending on your circumstances. Get help from counsel to determine whether you can try to adjust your status in an appropriate way. Good Luck

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

  3. Will need to be a green card holder for either 3 years (if married to a USC) or 5 years (if obtained green card through an employer's permanent petition) before you can even think of applying for citizenship.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics