How to get certified copies of indian passport from indian consulate for applyin ITIN

Dublin, OH |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

I'm on h4 visa. I'm staying at USA from 1 year. My visa expires on 31st march 2013. My husband got transer to another state(from dublin ohio to denver colorado). So we need to move to another state after my husband gets LCA approval. So i and my husband going apply for extension in the next month.But, till now i didn't apply for ITIN. We heared that inorder to apply for ITIN we had to sent original passport or certified copies of issuing authority. At present i'm not in a position to sent my original passport to IRS. So i need to know the processing of geting certified copies from indian consulates in usa and how much time do it take to get the certified copies to our hand. Please help me out.

1. This is a new, and complicated/confusing process.

I suggest you hire a tax preparer to help submit the ITIN application at the same time as your husband submits his 1040.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Individual-Taxpayer-Identification-Number-(ITIN)

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Not sure of whee you are residing but you should contact the Indian consulate in the US that handles matter for your locations. They should be able to guide you on certifying your passport. If you need only certified copies of your passport most notaries and some attorneys will certify.