How to get certified copies of indian passport from indian consulate for applyin ITIN

Asked over 1 year ago - Dublin, OH

I'm on h4 visa. I'm staying at USA from 1 year. My visa expires on 31st march 2013. My husband got transer to another state(from dublin ohio to denver colorado). So we need to move to another state after my husband gets LCA approval. So i and my husband going apply for extension in the next month.But, till now i didn't apply for ITIN. We heared that inorder to apply for ITIN we had to sent original passport or certified copies of issuing authority. At present i'm not in a position to sent my original passport to IRS. So i need to know the processing of geting certified copies from indian consulates in usa and how much time do it take to get the certified copies to our hand. Please help me out.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a new, and complicated/confusing process.

    I suggest you hire a tax preparer to help submit the ITIN application at the same time as your husband submits his 1040.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not sure of whee you are residing but you should contact the Indian consulate in the US that handles matter for your locations. They should be able to guide you on certifying your passport. If you need only certified copies of your passport most notaries and some attorneys will certify.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,696 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,696 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering