How to get B2 visa while having J1 visa while being in USA?

Asked 10 months ago - Southampton, NY

In order to change my visa status from J1 (expires in october) to B2 while being in USA (I'm originally from Poland) the only thing I have to do is just fill out the I-539 Form and wait for the answer? What exactly do I have to do to be able to receive B2 visa??

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as you are not subject to the two-year home residency requirement, you can submit form I-539 to apply to change your status from J-1 to B-2. To obtain a B-2 visa in the future, you need to apply in Poland.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,145 answers this week

2,917 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary