Skip to main content

How to get an Order of Protection lifted

Hyde Park, NY |

My ex husband is incarcerated and an O.O.P. has been put in place for the next 14 years! How and who would i need to contact to have this lifted and or modified?? This was set in motion through county court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


An OP is a court order that can only be vacated or modified by the court. As the victim you may want to reach out to the district attorney and let them know how you feel and ask them to assist. Alternatively you could reach out to your ex husbands attorney. S/he might be inclined to assist. Finally barring all else you can retain your own attorney who could bring a motion to the court. Unless and until the order is modified or vacated you really should stay away from him otherwise it could land him in more trouble.



I have contacted a criminal attorney and was told to go to family court and have a new order done by that court chnaging it from a no contact to a refrain from so my husband can move back home..he is a first time offender...I have been calling the ada for the past 3 weeks and she has yet to return any calls


Only the court can change it.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Only a Judge can change or vacate an Order of Protection.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer