Skip to main content

How to get a replacement Work Authorization Card if USCIS sent it to the wrong address?

San Jose, CA |

Hello. I have been waiting for my work permit for 3 months. On Sept 23rd I called USCIS and made a service request because I had gotten no answer. I clarified my new address at that time and the representative read my address back. A few days later I finally got approved (saw on website). But they sent the card to the wrong (old address) and it got lost. USCIS tells me the address I provided when I called on Sept 23rd was not an "official" change of address so they only had it for the service request. They tell me I have to pay again, do fingerprints again and wait 3 months again to get a new card. It sounds to me this was their fault. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Anyone could make a mistake, even with a simple address chance. If your EAD was delivered to the incorrect address, assemble another EAD form marking "lost" with all the requisite proofs and file with a Request to waive a fee available on the USCIS site.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602


Anytime you change your address, you re required to file and AR-11, which you may do online or via US mail. You may waste a lot of time trying to fight the system. It will be less costly to just pay another fee than to fight the system.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


Make an appointment with an immigration lawyer to review all of your paper work and situation. If you don't already have a lawyer, see the link below for the American Immigration Lawyers Association to help you find one.


That is correct, you need to change your address by filing form AR-11. As such, you need to pay again and file a new application.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I'm assuming you did not seek mail forwarding service. In any case, if USCIS mailed the EAD to the address on file, they will not issue you a duplicate without you paying the filing fees.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


A reasonable suggestion.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer