How to get a passport for a minor , when parent is in no way to be around??

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Barbara, CA

I have apply for my 15 year old passport , filled D.S - 3053 form , but the application was put on hold as her Dad signature and Id is need , the issue is the I don't where he s at , don't is he is in U.S.A or in Mexico as he is been deported , him I never got married yes we lived together but I left him 8 years ago because he was abusive and I haven't had contact with him , I haven't seeing him since then . All this years is being my their mom covering their needs. My daughter need her passport before June 12 2013 as she will be leaving in a trip to Europe , a trip that was offered trough her school . Please I need some advise don't know how to do ,

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to to passport office, explain the situation, see what they say.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be able to obtain a passport for your daughter without the consent of her father through the following methods: (1) court order granting sole custody; (2) court order specifically permitting your daughter's travel; and (3) written statement explaining why the non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have an attorney file a paternity suit.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,514 answers this week

3,691 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,514 answers this week

3,691 attorneys answering