How to get a name off of a title in a different state than it is titled in?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rocky Mount, NC

I recently moved to NC from NY and I need to register my car. My ex-girlfriends father's name is on the title because he cosigned for me years ago. I have not had contact with my ex or her family since the breakup and I would not even know how to get a hold of them, but nonetheless his name is on my title and the DMV here tells me that I can't register the car without his permission. I was wondering if there is anyway that I can get his name removed from the title without his signature or if there is a way for me to register my car?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . You are contacting the wrong DMV. Contact the one who issued title they may find him. Contact secretary of state police in jurisdiction that issued title they will help you find him. With out getting him to waive interest you will need a lawyer to file a suit to quiet title. I hoped I helped you.

Related Topics

Cosigners and bankruptcy

Cosigners can run into trouble if the borrower declares bankruptcy. An automatic stay won't help a cosigner, but some bankruptcy chapters offer codebtor stays.

Thomas O. Moens

Thinking of Co-Signing a Loan?

Many people have a misconception that as a co-signer, you are not responsible for the debt, or you are less responsible than the primary borrower. Unfortunately, co-signers are just as... more

Property repossession

Property repossession can happen if you are behind in your payments. Creditors are not required to send notice before they repossess your property or vehicle.

Robert Franklin Dean

Vehicle Repossessions in Maryland

Car dealers and other merchants dealing in very valuable goods who allow customers to finance their purchases usually keep a security interest in the goods they sell. If the purchaser... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,514 answers this week

3,691 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,514 answers this week

3,691 attorneys answering