How to get a lawyer if i barely have money?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albany, GA

I want to get a lawyer because i am trying to drop a simple battery charge against my fiancee but I do not have any money right now and the court date is Dec 3rd.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It does not seem they handle cases like yours, but try to give them a call. They may point you in the right direction
    Good luck.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more
  2. Keith G Langer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your fiancee is deemed indigent, an attorney will be appointed for her. If she can afford one, she would do well to contact the GA and her county bar association for referrals.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Jack Ira Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Family [domestic] violence charges cannot usually be 'dropped' by the victim. The 'state' will generally move forward with a prosecution unless their is some issue with the case which a defense attorney may be able to pursue. Your fiancee may apply to get appointed counsel and if indigent will have counsel appointed.

    You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to... more
  4. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some attorneys take payments.

    There is no confidentiality online. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If you cannot find a local attorney on Avvo, a good place to look is the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable.
    NACDL local members: (
    NACDL Local affiliates:

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,051 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,051 answers this week

3,073 attorneys answering