Skip to main content

How to get a jury trial ?

Coon Rapids, MN |
Filed under: Criminal defense

if the judge refuses a jury trial

Attorney Answers 3


You or your attoney makes a motion for a jury trial before the court. The court must grant the motion if you are charged with a felony and in most states, a misdemeanor that carries jsil time if convicted.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you are charged with a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony, you have any absolute right to a jury trial. No judge can deny it. If you are only charged with a petty misdemeanor, then you do not get a jury.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


First, retain an attorney. Second, demand a jury trial.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics