Skip to main content

How to get a hold lifted for probation so a loved one can be released from prison?does this really require a lawyer?

Atlanta, GA |

My bf has been in jail for a year.he was on probation in Fulton county but caught a charge in Cobb county jail he was sentenced to a year and a half on a drug charge.they sent him to coastal state to a 90 day program then he could parole out.well he completed the program on august 7th and of course the day he was supposed to be released he couldn't because he had a hold in Fulton county.the prison said they would release him before Fulton county comes to get him if he got the hold taken off and get his parole and probation ran in concurrent I know its possible but I need to know if this is something I can do myself by making a couple phone calls or do I NEED to hire my attorney.I let him know about it and he wants to charge me 1700.I just need to know what is he quickest route to end it

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your boy friend needs a lawyer.

  2. He needs an attorney and the tasks will vary greatly depending on who the probation officer is, the judge, the prosecutor and the case manager (to the Judge). Taking this on without counsel will surely delay his release greatly. Best of luck to you.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the State of Georgia.

  3. Yes, he really does need an attorney. Good luck.

  4. If the hold is in Fulton County State Court, and it is for missing court, then the hold can be removed almost immediately. Once removed, it takes the Fulton County system 24 to 48 hours to update, and show that the hold has been removed. Removing this type of hold is relatively easy to do.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics