Skip to main content

How to get a foreign divorce recognized in the states for the Air Force to accept it?

Abilene, TX |

The Air Force would not accept a "quickie" divorce in a foreign coutry. The divorce is legal in Japan, it did not go thru a court or sign by a judge. I need it to be recognized in the states so the Air Force can accept it.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. I think you may have a real problem. Did you ask the JAG why the USAF wouldn't recognize the "divorce"? I've got some ideas but they are too technical to explain here; generally having to to with jurisdiction and due process. I suggest you contact a family lawyer in Abilene and start over with the divorce process.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics