Skip to main content

How to get a bench warrant and DUI taken care of?

Slidell, LA |

I moved out of state due to Hurricane Katrina. My attorney told me he could not help me till i came back home. But in the mean time a warrant was put out for my arrest and I was not in the state to take care of it. How can i clear up this mess without getting arrested. If i get arrested i will lose my job and won't have any way of paying the fines or taking care of my family.

Attorney Answers 3


You will have to deal with the warrant. Most likely that will involve coming back to LA. Do you still have the same attorney? If not, you can try and find one in your area here on AVVO just select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you still live outside of Louisiana, this will be difficult to take care of. Usually a warrant can only be quashed if you turn yourself in and see a judge to have a new court date set and conditions of your release. Contact an experienced DWI attorney in the area of your offense to find out your full range of options. This website have many good candidates to choose from if your previous attorney is not an option.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


There are a lot of moving parts here. The first thing you'll need to do is explain this case to a particular lawyer who will listen and figure out a plan for fixing the problem. After that, you will probably have to make a trip to Louisiana to get the warrant recalls. It's possible that you won't have to make that trip, but if I were advising you, I would begin making plans. Once we get the warrant recalled, we'll fight your case like every other DWI and hope the prosecutor understand your predicament.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics