Skip to main content

How to fire attorney? How to request fee refund?

Miami, FL |

How to fire attorney? How to change to pro se? How to change to another attorney?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. More facts are needed. Is the matter in suit? Are you on a contingency, an hourly, or a flat fee? You are allowed to fire your attorney when you wish but you may owe him/her money. Going pro se is usually a very bad idea. You are free to consult with another attorney if you wish.

    The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  2. If you have paid a retainer you are entitled to a summary of how the retainer was earned. Contact another attorney on your area who specializes in your issue. You can use this site to locate an attorney. Without more information it is hard to give more specialized advice.

  3. Open communication is key with your current attorney. Otherwise, hire another attorney and have that attorney seek the file and a return of a portion of the retainer.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Professional ethics topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics