How to fire an attorney and how to pay him for the few hours he did spend with me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Great Neck, NY

A contingency lawyer I hired is no longer needed. I've decided to hire another attorney. The only 'work' the old lawyer did for me is spend a few hours with me over the course of a year, discussing issues about the case. Late last year he did type up a draft of a document (after I had told him to not do that explicitly)... I just looked at the 2 page contract I have & for fees it states it alls on a contingency basis and if I terminate him then I owe him his hourly rate for the time he spent up until now... It states 'the hourly rate included in this contract' yet there is no hourly rate included. I'm worried that once I terminate him, he will take advantage and charge an exorbitant amt. or make up a ridiculously high hourly rate. The hourly rate SHOULD have been in the contract, right?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . Yes, the hourly should have been stated, but if you are offering to fairly pay the attorney who worked for you, I would expect most attorneys to be cooperative and ethical in their dealings with you.