How to fire an attorney and how to pay him for the few hours he did spend with me?

Great Neck, NY |
Filed under: Professional ethics

A contingency lawyer I hired is no longer needed. I've decided to hire another attorney. The only 'work' the old lawyer did for me is spend a few hours with me over the course of a year, discussing issues about the case. Late last year he did type up a draft of a document (after I had told him to not do that explicitly)... I just looked at the 2 page contract I have & for fees it states it alls on a contingency basis and if I terminate him then I owe him his hourly rate for the time he spent up until now... It states 'the hourly rate included in this contract' yet there is no hourly rate included. I'm worried that once I terminate him, he will take advantage and charge an exorbitant amt. or make up a ridiculously high hourly rate. The hourly rate SHOULD have been in the contract, right?

Yes, the hourly should have been stated, but if you are offering to fairly pay the attorney who worked for you, I would expect most attorneys to be cooperative and ethical in their dealings with you.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Professional ethics topics