How to find property of the person who died intestate?

Asked 3 months ago - Simi Valley, CA

there is prospective client from Russia. He asked me as follow: My dad died 1.5 yrs ago. I have court order that I am only legitimate heir. By the rumors dad had some property in USA. Is there any way to find out what he had (property, bank accounts)? How it works? Do I need attorney? or some company can locate the assets?

1. Christine James

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . First, I would make sure it is not a scam. Second, I would get more information about the person who died, date of death, county where the property may be located etc. Then I would have an attorney do a preliminary check and if that leads nowhere, hire a private investigator.

2. Gregory Paul Benton

2

Answered . What do you mean by prospective client? What is your capacity in this matter? Why would you need an attorney if the "propective client" is someone else with this problem? Please give clarity.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

1

Answered . Ms. James advises you correctly. Beyond that, one of the nice things about real property and about bank accounts (in addition to their monetary value) is that they leave somewhat of a paper trail -- for real property, there will be checks written toward the purchase, perhaps mortgage payments, property tax bills, maybe water bills, and the like. For bank accounts, there will probably be monthly or quarterly statements, interest statements, and similar types of documents.

If you know the general geographical area in which the decedent may have purchased real property, you can check with the county land recorder in those areas.

An attorney will, of course, have certain tools (and data bases) available that may not be available to you. So you may want to engage an attorney.

Good luck to you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now