How to find out what detective wants without going to station

Bradley, IL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

i was taking my son to doctor and detective showed up wanting to talk to me he didnt say what it was concerning, he asked if i would be home the next day and told me he would come at 10 am since I was taking my son to doctor, i have no idea what he wants but in this town it can never be good, even though i dont think ive done anything thats a crime i dont want to go to station cuz im afraid whatever it is ill spend nite in jail if he had an arrest warrant he would of hooked me up when he showed up and talked me right?

1. I would be very careful about saying very much or even anything at all to a detective without having the assistance of counsel. It can be tricky because police view asking for counsel as an indication of guilt. On the other hand, it is all too easy to get led down the garden path by skilled interrogators and suddenly find yourself in a lot more trouble than you can handle on your own.

A law firm I used to work at, Dewey, recently had several of its employees indicted. Along with the high powered decision-makers was a low-level, 29 year old, client relations manager (essentially a collections clerk) who was charged with helping to start fraud and cover up its early stages. It is very possible that if this young man had had counsel present early on, he could have more successfully navigated the police interrogation. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/06/us-dewey-execs-criminal-idUSBREA251FU20140306

Be careful.

I answer questions on Avvo based on limited information provided in a short query received over the internet. These impersonal communications are not intended to create an attorney client relationship. In my practice, the attorney client relationship is entered into after each has evaluated the other and the terms are set forth in an engagement letter. I am happy to provide a limited initial consultation with potential clients at no charge.

2. I recommend you don't speak to the police without an attorney present. Do you have any outstanding warrants or unpaid judgments that you are aware of?

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

3. Detective showed up at the Dr. Office? At your home? In your car? Since I don't know anything about you, I suggest you have a consultation with a lawyer. Often we can find out what the issue is. Do not allow the officer into your home. It could be. Toning. You could be somebody else's alibi. You might not be a target. Still, I'd rather overreact than underreact.

4. A detective asking questions about you and wanting to speak with you without revealing why is never a good thing. Do not speak with the detective until you speak with an attorney. Do not discuss this situation any more online or even in private with anyone but an attorney. You are not obligated to speak with the detective and hoepfully you have not yet done so.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

5. I agree with all of my colleagues. Let an attorney make contact and run interference for you. Yes it is true, we lawyers immediately think of all the bad possibilities and how serious it gets, but as someone else already observed, it is better to be careful and overreact than take this too casually. Just guessing here, but I doubt there is a warrant for you. On the other hand, it is very possible that you are the target of a police investigation and that the detective hopes to get the missing pieces to arrest and prosecute you from your own mouth. On the less worrisome side, the police could be after somebody else and are only looking to you for information. But you don't know that . . .

6. You absolutely must hire a criminal defense attorney and have them contact the detective for you to find out what they want. Detectives do not just show up at your house or job unless they are specifically looking for you. Also as others have said, stay off the internet about this matter.

Disclaimer-the above is in no way legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney/client relationship.