How to find out if you're a payable on death account beneficiary?

Cape Coral, FL |

Grandmom died last 2010 and the executor does not tell details of the bank accounts but asked me to give her power of attorney so that she can withdraw the money that was named for me by my grandmom. I wanted to know which bank the money is deposited and if that account is just a regular account or a POD account. Unfortunately, the executor is ignoring my questions. I dont have copies of bank staements too because she's not responding.

1. I would advise against signing such a power of attorney. A bank account with beneficiaries listed on it is NOT part of the estate and is therefore outside the scope of the PR's authority. In all the years I've handled probate cases, I've never had a beneficiary execute a POA on favor of a PR.

I would strongly recommend that you seek out a Florida Probate/Elder Law attorney to represent your interests as beneficiary of your grandmother's estate.

The information contained in this posting is provided to you “AS IS” and does not constitute legal advice. I am not acting as your attorney. I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this posting and its associated sites. The law changes very rapidly and, accordingly, I do not guarantee that any information on this posting or linked web sites are accurate and up to date. Additionally, the law differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and is subject to interpretation of courts located in each county. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case and the tools and information provided to you may not be an appropriate fit in your case. Nothing that you read or is provided on this web site should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

2. The personal representative's request for a power of attorney seems odd. You may need to talk to a probate attorney.

3. You should seek out an attorney who practices probate. The request by the Personal Representative for you to sign a Power of Attorney is not typical in probate proceedings. A bank account with a payable on death beneficiary would not be a part of the estate.

Wills and estates topics