How to find out if you're a payable on death account beneficiary?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

Grandmom died last 2010 and the executor does not tell details of the bank accounts but asked me to give her power of attorney so that she can withdraw the money that was named for me by my grandmom. I wanted to know which bank the money is deposited and if that account is just a regular account or a POD account. Unfortunately, the executor is ignoring my questions. I dont have copies of bank staements too because she's not responding.

1. Francine Rae Martin

3

Answered . I would advise against signing such a power of attorney. A bank account with beneficiaries listed on it is NOT part of the estate and is therefore outside the scope of the PR's authority. In all the years I've handled probate cases, I've never had a beneficiary execute a POA on favor of a PR.

I would strongly recommend that you seek out a Florida Probate/Elder Law attorney to represent your interests as beneficiary of your grandmother's estate.

2. J Michael Hamby

1

Answered . The personal representative's request for a power of attorney seems odd. You may need to talk to a probate attorney.

3. Astrid de Parry

Pro

1

Answered . You should seek out an attorney who practices probate. The request by the Personal Representative for you to sign a Power of Attorney is not typical in probate proceedings. A bank account with a payable on death beneficiary would not be a part of the estate.