How to find out if the deceased left a will or trust behind if the surviving wife wont talk or file in probate?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I have twins 6yr olds who father passed& his wife wont cooperate.

You see a lawyer. The children may be heirs, and also may have rights to file for years support. Delay may eliminate rights the children may have.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Wills can be filed with the local probate court for safekeeping while the person is living, although that is not required, so you could check there first. The next step would be to file for letters of administration of the estate. If she does have a will, that will smoke it out. Regardless of whether or not he had a will, a years support filed by a spouse or on behalf of a minor child will trump a will in most cases anyway. See a lawyer to help you to make sure that your children's rights are protected, and to help isure that she is not disposing of property, as probate cases like this can be very nasty when one of the sides is being uncooperative.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Using a petition for administration is a good idea. The wife would have to come forward to challenge the petition. This might help you get the Will out of her if there is one. Additionally, you can sometimes find info about a trust by searching real estate records. Often real estate is transferred into a trust. Finding a deed that does that would give you the name of the trust. Your children could be "creditors" of the estate and the trust, if there is one, if paternity and support obligations were established or can be established now. Visit an attorney quickly. There may be time limits on certain filings that may be beneficial to your children.

I am very sorry about the loss of your children's father. This sounds a lot like the story of Cinderella where the evil stepmother favors her own interest over the interests of her stepdaughter. If a person does not have a will in Georgia they are deemed to have died "intestate." Under Georgia law, children are entitled to 2/3 of their deceased parents' property while the surviving spouse is entitled to 1/3 of the property. Minor children also have the right to "Year's Support" from their deceased parent. Anyone is permitted to file a Petition for Letters of Administration in probate court. I suggest you contact an experienced probate attorney to discuss the children's rights. Sounds like you need professional help depending on how much property is involved.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates